Camp Susquehanna Thanks It's Generous Donors! Donate »
Youth Fire Misuse – Statistics
- Nearly 34-percent of the victims of child-set fires are the children themselves.
- Nationally, playing with fire is the leading cause of death in residential fires for young children.
- At home, children often play with fire in the bedroom – where lots of things catch on fire easily.
- Older children frequently play with fire outside the home, at the bus stop, or in vacant lots.
- Children are under the false impression that they can control the fires they set.
- Many children who set fires lack both parental supervision and fire safety education.
- Juveniles account for more than 50-percent of all arson arrests in the United States.
- Nationally, children who play with fire cause nearly 80,000 structure fires per year which result in approximately 760 deaths and more than 3,500 injuries.
- Youth Fire Misuse does an estimated 1.2 billion dollars in damage annually.
- It only takes about two-minutes for the flame from a single match to set an entire room on fire, and less than five minutes for that fire to overtake an entire house.
- Juvenile arson and youth-set fires result in over 300 deaths and 2,000 injuries annually, and $300 million in property damage and more than 400,000 incidents annually (USFA)
- Children misusing fire cause 40 percent of residential fire-related deaths among children.
- Left untreated, children who misuse fires will repeat the behavior 81% of the time.
Save the Date! September 26th, 2017
Camp Susquehanna – Thanks to our generous donors!
Check out our latest issue of Safety Lines!
Charming Charlie Fundraiser for Camp Susquehanna
© Burn Prevention Network
236 N. 17th Street • Allentown, PA 18104
Voice: 610-969-3930 • Fax: 610-969-3940 • Email Us