Michael Surrell – Allentown, PA
Michael Surrell and his wife arrived home on West Liberty Street on a May afternoon to find smoke pouring from their neighbor’s house. People outside were yelling that a child was trapped on the second floor. Without hesitating, 64-year-old Surrell headed up the stairs, where he was met with intense heat and thick, choking smoke. Despite having a lung disease that made breathing difficult, he searched until he found the girl, scooping her up and carrying her down the stairs and out of the house. She was not breathing, so he began resuscitation efforts until she coughed and came to life. He is credited with saving the 8-year-old’s life.
Rick Cruz, Jennifer Dixon, Mavis Dixon, Aaron Young – Middletown, Pa.
Sgt. Daniel Tingle – Lower Swatara Police Department
Middletown Area High School’s football team had just beaten Scranton Prep in the quarterfinals. As Jennifer Dixon and her mother Mavis were returning home from the game, they came upon a fiery car crash. They could hear people calling for help, so Jennifer kicked in the back passenger window. She and Mavis pulled the passenger out and extinguished the flames on his body with their clothes. In the meantime, Aaron Young had heard the crash from his home nearby and ran to assist. He pulled the teenage driver out, then used his sweatshirt to put out the flames. Sgt. Tingle had arrived on scene and retrieved a fire extinguisher from his car to help put the fire out. Rick Cruz, also on his way home from the game, tried to pry the back passenger door open, thinking there were more passengers in the back. Relieved that there were only two in the car, he assisted the Dixons. The driver and passenger sustained severe injuries, but if not for the bravery of these five heroes the outcome could have been very different.
You must have the flyer with you on the 17th – PRINT FLYER HERE
Thirty one years ago the Burn Prevention Network (BPN) was born from a split-off of its parent organization, the Burn Foundation (BF), headquartered in Philadelphia, PA. Over the years, the BPN and BF have collaborated on regional and national projects that mutually supported our respective missions. The biggest collaboration of all is about to take place beginning in early 2017! Continue reading
The Burn Prevention Network is blessed to be the recipient of so much generosity! Just over the past several weeks we have been approached by a number of groups and individuals who have been moved to make a difference in the life of a burn survivor, or help prevent life-changing injuries to unsuspecting victims. Some of you have chosen to support our services with a financial contribution. Some have expressed an interest to become personally involved and give of your time. We sincerely appreciate that generosity … if fact, we survive because of it! Continue reading
Part of the Burn Prevention Network’s mission is to provide education for “those at greatest risk” of burn injury. One of the largest segments of this population is young children. As infants become toddlers they are curious about their environment but unsteady on their feet, and do not yet understand the dangers of things that could burn them, like hot water, hot food on the stove, fireplace doors, candles…the list goes on!
To protect these precious little ones, it becomes crucial to teach those that take care of them how to keep them safe – their parents, guardians, and caregivers. Our “Safety Lines” newsletter attempts to do just that! Continue reading
The Burn Prevention Network exists to broadly provide burn injury prevention education, materials and advocacy. Each year our targeted programs and services reach between 400,000 and 500,000 persons. We target these programs to those populations that are statistically at highest risk to sustaining burn injury, namely, children ages 0 – 4 (caregivers); children 12 and under; and firefighters. Continue reading
Some of you are seasoned (old!) enough to remember the Holiday novelty song, “All I Want for Christmas.” The youthful singer goes on to proclaim with a lisp, “is my two front teeth!”
The delivery of that tune never ceases to bring a smile during the Season of Stress and Excess! It reminds us that the simple things, we oftentimes take for granted, are the things that can bring the most fulfillment and happiness. Continue reading
Written By Brian Joho and Nancy Humes, LVHN Regional Burn Center
The proverb “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” is as relevant today as it was when Benjamin Franklin first penned it. When Ben first gave that sage advice in 1736 he was arguing for the formation of the Union Fire Company in Philadelphia as a way to prevent the devastating social and economic losses a major fire can inflict to a city. Since
Nancy Humes, LVHN Regional Burn Center, and Jessica Banks, Burn Prevention Network
then there has been much good work done by those who seek to prevent the suffering inflicted by fire. We have seen the overall rate of burn injuries decrease across all demographic groups across the country. With this decrease in the number of total burns there has been an increase in the survivability of even the most severe burn injuries due to advances in medical treatments. Despite this good news there is still a price to be paid for those who are injured with burns. Continue reading
When you think of Halloween, one of the first things that probably enters your mind is carving Jack-O-Lanterns!
It’s important to supervise children while carving, but you must also exercise caution when lighting them up!
Only adults should use matches or lighters to light the candle inside the pumpkin. Store matches and lighters out of reach of children.
Make sure the candle is securely anchored inside the pumpkin.
Consider carving the pumpkin from the bottom instead of the top. This makes it easier to level the pumpkin, and it can be placed over a candle that is in a safe container.
Make sure you light the pumpkin with a long fireplace match or a bbq lighter to prevent burning your hand.
The SAFEST way to light your pumpkin is with LED candles, a small flashlight, or an electric window candle!